Sunday, January 19, 2003

Just Something...

It's that time of year again when I am reminded that Denver -- despite all of its pretensions toward culture and civility -- really is just a cow town. Yes, it's time again for the National Western Stock Show!

Teri made some comment about this, saying that she had the terrible state of Colorado's culture brought to her attention when our state's first Krispy Kreme doughnut shop opened. I imagined the situation from an outsider's point of view being as if Coloradans didn't even know what a doughnut was.

If you'll forgive me, I'll try to recreate a little piece of impromptu theater that Teri enjoyed:

Martha: My word, Henry! What on Earth is that thing?

Henry: Why, Martha, I do believe it's one of those dough-nuts.

Martha: What's a dough-nut?

Henry: I reckon it's like a beignet with a hole in it...

Martha: My stars! What will they think of next?

...I guess you had to be there. *sigh*

No comments: