Saturday, July 30, 2011

IT Librarian Interview (Simulation Recreation Quantification)

In the interest of full disclosure, I was not actually there for this interview in class. On the Friday in question (July 15, 2011) at the time in question (6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., MDT), I was flying from Portland, Oregon to Denver, Colorado. It was, um, not exactly where I wanted to be.

However, thanks to a classmate, I was able to view a recording of the interviews. Thanks a lot, Leanne!

...Anyway, the interview was interesting. I found the paths that these two fellows took to be interesting, as their choices led them to almost be "accidental" techies. I know that such things happen all the time, and I have a feeling that something like that can happen to me. Still, the fact they both embraced the chances and made the best of the challenges. I really respect that!

Also, the various levels of interaction that are required of technology guys are required to maintain surprised me, but in retrospect, it should not have had that effect on me. After all, I know that once I say, "I know a little about computers," I then I become a commodity. That such happens in libraries too is good to know.

Where I work, I don't know that we really have proper IT librarians. Our information technology people are all in a separate department, away from the rest of the library. When we have a problem, the IT Department goes into action. They are more of a support service than a truly integrated part of the library's regular operation. The interview led me to a revelation that the two could be combined into one library.

I have gained a much greater appreciation of the role of technology professionals in libraries. The snobbery of techies that I came into my Information Technology in Libraries is an idea that has not quite panned out of me, and I must say that I'm very pleased to be proved wrong.

No comments: